[Tango-L] Open/crossed step uses?

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Fri Aug 1 13:40:36 EDT 2008

Jack Dylan wrote --------> I [took] some time and trouble to explain
[the difference between an 'open' step and a 'crossed' step] but
received no feedback. I hope you found my comments useful.

They were useful.  Thanks!

Part of the difficulty understanding what open and crossed mean is the
terminolgy (in English, anyway). Naveira etc. are not talking about an
open STEP, or crossed STEP, which would refer to a step or a stance of
one person.  They are talking about the relation between two people.

(A crossed STEP is when a person crosses one foot in front of or behind
another foot. Step 5 of the 8CB is a crossed step.  When a man leads a
molinete he may cross one foot behind another so he can do a half turn
in place while she walks around him.)

I have been mulling over just what good it does to know the difference
between an open and crossed relation.  Let's try the 8CB.

Step 1.  An open relation.  I (the leader) can do step 2 as a sacada on
her trailing right foot.  This might help lead a parada or a boleo, for
instance.

Step 2.  An open relation.  I can do step 3 as a sacada instead of the
usual step 3.

Step 3.  A crossed relation.  I can do step 4 as a sacada, but my
partner and I will have trouble.  (We can still do a figure beginning
in a sacada, but to do it smoothly we both must be quite expert and
have a lot of body control.)

That's what I've figured out so far.

I should mention that years ago when Fabian Salas began teaching in Los
Angeles I took all his classes.  The first few he discussed
open/crossed and other parts of his and Naveira's system.  Later he
quit doing that.  I suspect their system is good for thinking up new
ways of doing movements, but not for improvising them while dancing.

Larry de Los Angeles