[Tango-L] Leading with hands

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Fri Aug 1 13:20:44 EDT 2008

I am a follower and I will tell you why I prefer the torso to hands.
Leads with hands are annoying.  I can be dancing with a man who has nice
posture and a good sense of music and then there are those hands
"guiding" me through the dance.  Leading with the torso at least for me
is a much more natural progression of the movement.  It does not
interfere with a walk, giro, or ocho.  When hands are used no matter how
good the lead is, it is never smooth.  The embrace is just that...an
embrace.  With good posture the force of the torso moves the body
smoothly and naturally through the dance.  With hands it cannot be
smooth.  AND with a bad lead I feel like I am being worked like a slot
machine. Horreeeebllllaaaayyyyyy.