[Tango-L] Communities

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 06:18:18 EDT 2008

--- Tom Stermitz <stermitz at tango.org> wrote:

> People do all kinds of wierd, anxious, even
self-destructive things when they don't trust their own
competence. Really, if you are all that good, than you are
going to succeed, even if "they" get in your way.

I've always thought that many of the issues that occur
between tango groups regarding competition would disappear
if those in charge were more familiar with anti-trust law.
Partly because it takes the emotional side out of
organizing.  It is simply THE LAW.  The same way sexual
harassement or any other law applies.

As Ron pointed out, most tango communities are either
monopolies or oligopolies.  And it is patently illegal to
do anything to suppress competition.  A monopoly may arise
if a business succeeds in doing so by "superior thrift,
industry, or foresight".

Where I think organizers need to be particularly concerned
are collusion, price-fixing, dividing up of geographical
territories, or the like.  Otherwise, they develop into a
cartel, which is also illegal. With email, it's a lot
easier to track paper trails.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartel

Although one may say "well, this is only tango so who would
care?", why take that risk?  Would you risk being charged
with sexual harassment?

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/