[Tango-L] how to lead (was 'weight change')

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Mon Apr 28 23:44:48 EDT 2008

 On Tue Apr 29  2:23 , Alexis Cousein  sent:

>If (or I should say when) the frame is really locked, it is impossible
>for you to do a weight change and for your partner to do none;

I don't agree with this and would say that any beginner in his very first
lesson can do it. One of the first things we teach beginners is to embrace
and then do weight changes from foot to foot with the man leading and
the lady following. It's amazing the number of guys who can change feet
without the girl even knowing. The reason is that the guy just lifts his foot
off the floor by bending his knee and his torso doesn't move. Try it - it's
like marching in place. What's equally surprising is that a few weeks later,
when we teach crossed feet walking, these same guys have difficulty
doing what they could do in their first lesson and have to re-learn changing
feet without moving the torso.

As others have already explained, it's all about disassociation - separating
the upper and lower parts of the body. Alternatively, you can change weight
with one foot behind the other and this will also result in no sideways motion
of the torso.

Keith, HK