[Tango-L] Speak up if you are uncomfortable - policies

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Tue Apr 29 00:30:47 EDT 2008

Now here's something we can agree on Chris...

I started holding Tango dances in mid summer 05.   Buffalo was a tango
wasteland prior to that.  Within a year we brought about many
workshops with imported instructors, and a couple of fairly major
productions.     Not to mention the weekly dances.  A few Tangueros
came out of the woodwork for that first dance and gave the incentive
to carry on.  The crowd continued to grow very nicely and we soon
topped fifty at a dance... In July of 06 we held our first, 3 day
weekend Tango Festival.

I had considered forming a 'non profit' club at one time but really
could not see the need for it...  This isn't a business...   It's
people enjoying something they love doing.

Then a 'people organizing' tanguera started doing her thing... Taking
the people to a lot of ballroom venues, sporatic venues.., weird
venues.  The crowd became tired and unfocused.  The crowd stopped
growing at the weekly milonga.  I became discouraged and stopped
holding them...   To be clear, we weren't supporting the place any
more so it closed on our night for a couple of months.   When it
reopened in the fall, he didn't care if we came back, and neither did
I.

Now there is a government recognized non profit club here, run by the
people organizer..., that many belong to.   And they've buried
themselves in a yahoo casket.  The leader rules the roost.  Sells
T-shirts, charges for previously free dances, has worked her way into
a art based political position, possibily from her 'organizational
skills' and contacts.., and there is very little social Tango dancing
going on.

Tango should be free...

Floyd

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 02:07 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

>> Actually, Chris, there are quite a number of nonprofits with elected
>> officials (presidents, vice-presidents, secretaries, treasurers) who
>> are all community leaders. Their memberships have elected them to
>> handle the affairs of the club.
>
>Um, that's not a community - it what comes from /lack/ of community.
>
>Real tango communities don't have so-called community leaders, and it
>follows that so-called community leaders don't have real tango
>communities...
>
>...hence their need to form clubs, hold elections and bestow
>important-sounding titles upon one another. You can tell a real tango
>dance community by the fact people would rather dance. ;)

     Buffalo Tango - Argentine Tango - How To Tango
     * * * * * *  www.buffalotango.com  * * * * * *