[Tango-L] Weight of words

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 23:01:26 EDT 2008

I honestly have resisted being part of these particular threads - but I
really do want anyone and everyone passing even reasonably near Buffalo
to come dance with us.

I generally have about 30 folks at my regular monthly milonga - and
we're not too "gender imbalanced" :).  When I have visiting
instructors, I usually "sell" something like 50-55 sessions (includes
repeaters who are taking more than 1 workshop), and I usually, not
always, fill as many privates as we can schedule.  I've had almost 60
people for two special "gala" milongas/dinner dances. I have even been
able to get some tv coverage for some of our events and a feature in a
local glossy magazine is being done.  I am also happy to say that,
through our events, we have raised money to repair a public art
installation named, appropriately enough, the Tango Dancers.

We have people aged early 20s to 80s - with varying degrees of
experience and different backgrounds - salsa, ballroom, swing and, of
course, our tango purists :).  I am actually proud of the fact that,
with very, very little exception, everyone dances with everyone and I
especially love the care that most of our leaders, and followers, take
to make sure any "newbies" get a chance to dance - even if it's just a
walk around the floor.  There is a young man who does a monthly
Saturday night milonga, and he also gets a lot of folks - they tend to
be the younger dancers, but not exclusively.  He is more traditional in
his play-list, etc. which is great.  He does a lot of demonstrations in
the community which helps bring folks in - esp. people from the local
salsa crowd and the University.  As my monthly weeknight dance tends to
serve as an "entry point' for folks who may not have much, if any,
dance experience - I tend to play a little more alternative tango and I
throw in some latin and swing - which a lot of folks like - I know
there may be a lot of folks who would "disapprove," but almost everyone
gets on the floor for these "breaks" - so I must be doing something
right :).

If any one finds themselves anywhere near Buffalo - let me know, I'll
try to find you places to dance, to stay and to make new friends.  :)

Barbra

Have you joined the Buffalo Argentine Tango Society Yahoo! group yet?
It's easy, and the best way to make sure you know what we're doing and
what's going on with the Argentine tango in and around Buffalo......go
to www.yahoo.com > select Groups > search for Buffalo Argentine Tango
Society > follow the directions to join BATS_tango.  Thanks!