[Tango-L] milonga sequence

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 09:55:11 EDT 2008

Richard wrote:

Here is a clip from the Argentine film "La voz de mi ciudad" with Mariano
Mores and orquesta playing Taquito Militar.
There is a seven second dance sequence at 2:53 which is performed in such a
different way.

Can anyone explain it? Is it merely a film choreography of no great
historical value? or is it an example of an obscure or forgotten style?

Richard,

It might be choreographed a little bit but the sequence is a fairly basic
milonga pattern, with him leading her to step in back, then in front, then in
back, etc. while he does the same, or even the opposite...sort of like starting
ochos but not finishing them before changing direction.   I have done that step
a few times myself, but they are jumping around and hamming it up a little
bit more than normal, which could have been the director, and which could
explain why it looks that way.   It is actually not very difficult, if you are
fairly competent in traspie. (But it is definitely not a beginner step.) I'll show
you next time we cross paths at a milonga.

I don't think it is style specific other than being traspie, but who
knows?...it could have originated in a barrio or by a particular person...and that
might be one of the first appearances on film. I have seen it done in a few
performances.

Cheers,
Charles