[Tango-L] people who can and can't

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Sun Apr 27 23:42:48 EDT 2008

Just between us list members, this current credibility of posters
insistently stuffing our mail day after day with air-head silliness made
me wonder what the deal was with another person who was recently
apparently banned from the list. Because one can look at him dancing on
videos, too.

Seeing someone dance tells you a good deal about how to read their words.

Whatever the sins were that got Igor banned, I missed it all somehow. He
never bothered my sensibilities. But, if I understand correctly, he was
ejected from our midst. Of course, one assumes there must have been
reasonable justification ... even if a reader like me didn't notice the
offense(s).  The Tango-L founders/administrators have always been above
reproach.

But I was looking at Igor on YouTube, and, like - this is a tango dancer.
You know - the kind that you can't be if you are an idiot or ungenerous,
etc. Smooth, elegant, musical, all that good stuff.

Ha! I'm not suggesting one has to be a good dancer as supported by video
evidence to be a poster. Don't put that on me.

But, a video is worth a thousand stupid words.

As a subtext, we now live in a different world than before YouTube, don't
we? The effects are nearly breath-taking.

I read that in 2007, YouTube used more bandwidth by itself than the entire
internet used in 2000.

Ephemeralization in Bucky Fuller's sense. Ever-faster ever-faster change.