[Tango-L] Weight changes

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 27 13:50:59 EDT 2008

"But of course if the follower understands Tango, she would not takethe leaders weight changes as a lead for her to do so too.. Andthat's what I said of course. Tango on... Floyd"

I understand that there are many ways to dance tango, many ways to lead as well.
What Floyd describes seems to work for him and that is fine.

My experience is that most leaders change weight and at the same time communicate to the follower
to change her weight as well.  Or he changes weight and prevents her from changing her own weight.

For instance ( in a salida cruzada) the leader opens to the left with left, she follows opening to her right with right,
he keeps her on her right foot (using his torso or his right arm to do so), while he changes his weight
from his left to his right foot. Now he steps forward with left and she steps back with her usual left.

We may do a salida walking straight foprward. In this case I may step forward with my left or my right foot.
I lead her to walk backwards with the proper foot by changing her weight from one foot to the other.

I may do so just by changing my weight in place without moving either forward or backwards,
she senses my chnges and changes as well, as I lead her to do so.

She never "ignores" my weight changes. I lead her to change or not to change.

I think that most people dance this way, but then... dance any way you wish.

Have a good Sunday,
Sergio