[Tango-L] "Hiding" weight changes

robin tara robinctara at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 17:26:39 EDT 2008

Sean wrote

>Personally, I would be amazed by any man who
could change weight in a way such that a moderately
sensitive woman "doesn't even feel it".

Yesterday I was assisting Reuben Aybar, here in Buenos Aires, and we
taught a man to "change weight" without his partner feeling it, in
about 5 minutes. The words "weight change" is misleading though. What
he learned was how to change feet without his partner feeling it - his
axis remained the same. I believe this is what is being referred to.
For example, it happens when the leader steps to the left with his
partner, changes his weight from his left foot to his right and
continues forward with his left foot again. His partner steps to the
left with her right foot and continues back with her left, putting the
partners in the "crossed system". When the man does this without his
partner detecting the weight change, it works, otherwise, she changes
weight with him, and they remain in the "parallel system".

Robin Tara