[Tango-L] Speak up if you are uncomfortable - policies

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sat Apr 26 13:21:00 EDT 2008

Trini wrote:
> In a lot of small communities, tango gets started through people
> pooling their resources to form non-profits.  Officers are often
> elected as a legal requirement to share a balance of power.  That
> is how things are often done in the States.

"in the States" - no doubt. But I think you'll find, as I said, that
phenomenon is largely confined to the tango third world. Perhaps in part
because in established tango communities, "balance of power" and getting a
share of it doesn't have quite as much appeal...

> What your describing as a community sounds to me like a commercial
> enterprise

I can't see how. My description was only:

 Real tango communities don't have so-called community leaders ...
 You can tell a real tango dance community by the fact people would
 rather dance. ;)

> As such people emerge who care enough about their communities to
> want to do something to help it grow.

Well sure - see "power" above.

> thank you for your comments as they've allowed me discuss these
> issues to help others.  I've gotten a lot of private emails since
> this thread started from different areas of the country.

I'm glad to hear I've contributed to your learning about tango community
in, um, "the" country.

Thanks for your contribution to mine.

--
Chris