[Tango-L] Following is active & mulitLEVEL leads

Martin Waxman martin at waxman.net
Sat Apr 26 10:08:44 EDT 2008

At 04:23 AM 4/26/2008, larrynla at juno.com wrote:
>Hand leads have gotten a bad rap in tango.  It's
>sometimes said that one should not use them to
>lead at all.  That's wrong.  It's more correct
>to say that one should use one's hands only for
>leading that is not better done by something
>else.  But there are some actions for which
>hands are crucial to leading properly.  (If you
>don't know what they are, consider this a thought exercise!)

I agree.
When I was first learning AT, I was taught that
the more open the embrace, the more "alive" the
right hand should be in position and pressure to
positively indicate the lead/mark.
Works for me.

Also, instructional videos by people like
Norberto "Pulpo" Esbréz clearly explain,
emphasize, point out the purpose behind each
right hand lead position used -- without this
hand lead, the intention is not clear to the follower.

Marty