[Tango-L] Gender Imbalance in Tango

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Apr 24 11:03:05 EDT 2008

In the beginner classes, the gender ratios are always close to 50/50.
The problem is in the upper level classes. I don't want to be harsh,
but look at the Adv-beginner and Intermediate classes for the
different teachers in one community.  Some are 50/50 some are 80/20.
In other words, the problem is methodological and intentional (or
ignorant).

Retention rates in tango are low, so the filtering process is
determines the gender ratios. Out of a new beginner class, maybe 90%
quit. If the rejection rate is unbalanced, say 90% women and 95% men,
the teacher is creating double the number of women. In other words,
the filtering is so drastic that very small changes in the filtering
process has a huge effect down the road.

It therefore pays off critically if you can figure out how to change
that situation, which specifically means increasing the number of men
who succeed. If there are extra guys, the number of women will
increase to fill the slots.

Women have multiple ways to become excited about tango, and in N.
America women are more likely to have danced as children. A beginner
woman can get a pretty amazing dance from an advanced leader, so she
is more likely to see the rewards of sticking it out.

It is difficult to create the equivalent for the man.

Performance anxiety, in terms of social success and in getting her to
do the dance steps, is probably the biggest obstacle for the men.
After teaching for 12 years, I've arranged and rearranged the
experience for beginner guys to ensure that they walk out of each
class, and each class series feeling successful.

Retention of the guys happens if the teacher can create the following
learning experience: At the end of a one hour class, most of the guys
can walk their partner through a dance at a regular milonga. They are
still beginners, but they can manage (feel they are in control of)
their simple vocabulary, they aren't running into people or stopping
in confusion, and they feel like they are "almost" dancing. Notice it
is about whether they FEEL successful.

There are several specific things that help this:
  - Simplify; tango takes time
  - I use simple steps repeated until the men feel their movements are
easy
  - I attach the simple steps to the musical phrase so that they
"feel" right
  - Improvisation is built by swapping short sequences; it is harder
to split up longer sequences.

  - I don't teach fancy figures, as that leads men to frustration.
  - I don't teach long sequences, as that turns tango into an
intellectual experience, and avoids the intuitive, physical learning.