[Tango-L] Milonga Codes

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Tue Apr 22 14:28:09 EDT 2008

Previously I wrote:
"I don't think it makes much sense for an organizer or a group of
community
leaders to impose a set of rules on those attending milongas.  People go
to milongas to have fun dancing tango, not to have a bunch of rules
imposed on them,..."

I recognize that in Buenos Aires, the organizers don't make the codes of
behavior for milongas.  The codigos were established a long time ago,
those codigos help create a smooth running milonga where everyone can
enjoy dancing.  The failure to observe these codes typically comes from
ignorance or a lack of caring.  As someone who participates in the
organization of milongas and deejays on a regular basis, I understand the
desire to help people understand the codes and ensure that milongas are
run as smoothly as possible.

Those teaching tango have an obligation to teach the codes as way to help
their students participate successfully in milongas.  Community FAQs and
etiquette lists also may be helpful.  What I don't think will work very
well is a milonga organizer distributing *and* enforcing a formal set of
rules.

With best regards,
Steve