[Tango-L] Kinisthetic sense - reply to Ron

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Apr 21 22:39:18 EDT 2008

There are a few misconceptions here that I would like to address.

1.  If someone is comfortable with his/her own body, there is nothing
and no one that can "make" this person to be uncomfortable.  What
happens instead is that people ignore their discomfort in the regular
life activities, move themselves out of the body and into the head,
and stay there until they arrive to tango.  Tango is just a mirror of
what is already there.

2.  Walking in Buenos Aire is good for tango, true.  But what is much
better is to ride the old Mercedes buses.  If you can keep your
balance without holding on to anything, and do it every day, the
tango improves dramatically. :)

3.  That 20 year old bodies are better than 40 year old bodies.  Not
true.  20 year old bodies are ignored and disconnected usually
because the person is some place else.  If one has been doing
something with his or her own body since the age of 20, and has been
doing it for 20 years (not tango, but something that involves some
consistent and purposeful cultivation of the body), his or her body
will be much, much better at 40 than at 20..  The problem is that
many people arrive to tango after their bodies had fossilized, and
after living in their heads for decades.

4.  The longer I dance, the less I understand who is a beginner and
who is advanced.  I believe that the problem is tango dimentia that
sets in after some time of dancing -  one sort of forgets the way
home and it does not matter.:)

5.  Tango alone cannot teach a person to move and to be connected
with the body.  Other things are needed.  There is a reason why
people come to tango.  More often than not it is subconscious.  But
each person does know what he/she needs or wants and is able to
pursue it, if the conditions are right.  To create a space where a
person can explore his or her movement in a safe place,  is much more
important on any level of dancing than the moves or technique.

When people begin to dance, something important and big has already
began to happen to their psyche.  Some call it the emergence of the
authentic self.  It is a process for everyone.  I believe that it is
a very painful process.  All transformations are painful.

I believe that if a tango teacher recognizes that such a
transformation is taking place in his or her students, he or she can
tend to the space that is needed, and the trust that gets built, and
gently help them move.  It is amazing to see the incredible speed
with which people learn tango in these conditions.  The role of the
teacher then become that of helping a person to emerge authentic in the dance.

See what happens when I sit at my computer long enough?!

Best,

Nina