[Tango-L] Kinisthetic sense - reply to Ron

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 21:35:46 EDT 2008

--- Tango Society of Central Illinois
<tango.society at gmail.com> wrote:

> Each dancer needs to be comfortable with their movements.
> Different anatomical characteristics, including injury,
will make a 'one size fits all' approach inapplicable.
Dancers who are made to feel uncomfortable in their bodies
will stop dancing tango.

I agree, Ron.  The trick is to help them develop their
kinesthetic sense (the 6th sense) without making them feel
uncomfortable.  Because the basis of Alexander technique is
in relaxing muscles, it's a gentle way of promoting this
sixth sense.  I have found that when I help people develop
the 6th sense, they are more willing to work through the
discomfort - sorta' like taking yoga.

What is most important, I think, is for people to use their
entire bodies as a connected unit.  My Alexander teacher
has commented to me before how some people (e.g.
milongueros in videos) clearly have bad posture but they
are able to use their bodies in a connected way, so that
the dance works for them.  However, I think that isn't true
of most people.  For example, my AT teacher might be
working on my leg and say "That changed your neck.  Did you
feel that?".  For a long time, my usual answer was "umm,
no".  It's only recently that have I been able to make that
connection.

> If is also noteworthy that different instructors
> recommend different technique, much of which has been a
source of debate on this list (e.g., heel first vs. toe
first, position of the woman's head in the embrace). Some
of these technique differences reflect personal preferences
and some reflect stylistic differences. ...Rather than
focusing on details, one should focus on the common ground
of technique, e.g.,
> balance and stability, coordination of movements between
> partners.

For beginning/intermediate dancers, I agree with this.  But
for more experienced dancers, it is useful to look at why
specific techniques are used in relation to anatomical
structure or musicality.  After workshops, I always explore
the differences in how teachers walk with our students so
that they can learn to control their bodies better. I often
find that there is actually less differences that one
thinks.  Some of the technique differences have to do with
timing and how a teacher explains it.

> Remember, tango has been danced for over 100 years by
> people in Buenos Aires who have not had extensive
training. Most good dancers developed on their own, by many
kilometers of walking on the dance floor.

That's true but those dancers were able to start in their
teens.  I'm guessing their bodies were relatively free of
the habits of those of us starting a lot later.  Generally
speaking, a 40-year-old body learns things differently than
a 20-year-old body.  Sigh.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/