[Tango-L] Surplus Tanguera - Not

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Mon Apr 21 14:33:38 EDT 2008

Many years ago, rumor had it that a milonga organizer in a major North
American city would run out onto the floor and give people tickets for
breaches of tango etiquette.  People ridiculed her for the behavior.  I
would have found such behavior funny (both humorous and odd).

I don't think it makes much sense for an organizer or a group of community
leaders to impose a set of rules on those attending milongas.  People go
to milongas to have fun dancing tango, not to have a bunch of rules
imposed on them, and that includes a forced rotation of partners.  Various
communities have drafted social etiquette rules which are intended to be
informative rather than requirements.  For some examples, see
http://www.portlandtango.com/faq.html
http://www.tangovita.com/page.php?page=14
http://www.tangomuse.com/TangoManners.html
http://www.close-embrace.com/invitingetiquette.html
http://www.tejastango.com/faq_dallas_tango.html

Of course, severe breeches of what is considered acceptable social
etiquette may require intervention on an individual basis.

I don't think it serves the milonga well for the dj to force everyone off
the floor with a second cortina or a lengthy cortina.  The cortina should
be long enough to allow the floor to clear--not to force it cleared.
Dancers know what the cortina means.  If they want to stay on the dance
floor that is their choice.  (If one of them is being coerced to stay on
the floor that is another issue.)

Some ideas that I've seen work at milongas (that had the right spaces) to
promote more positive social interaction (not force rotation).

1)  A milonga has a break zone--an area where people could sit or stand
and talk without being asked to dance.

2)  A milonga has two dance floors--one for practicing and one for dancing
the ronda.

3)  A milonga has three seating zones: single males, single females,
couples.  Couples who want to interact as singles may sit with their own
gender in the singles area.  The cabeceo is used as a matter of social
etiquette--not rules.  Anyone is always free to reject invitations that
have not been properly offered.

With best regards,
Steve