[Tango-L] Transportation tip-Bs. As.

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Sat Apr 19 22:46:59 EDT 2008

A travel tip for those heading off to Buenos Aires.   If you have been
before, you may be aware of this.   It is often recommended that you go into the
city with the "official" service at the Taxiezeiza counter at the airport, for
several reasons, one being security, another that you won't be overcharged for
the trip.   They are called remis taxis (ray-mees) and are yellow and black
(they are ubiquitous, like yellow cabs). We noticed on our recent trip that the
fare from Ezeiza airport was $88. pesos. However, the same fare on the meter
coming back to the airport with a taxi hailed on the street was closer to $65.
pesos (at rush hour) which it would also be going in, no doubt.   It is
admittedly not a huge amount of money (about US $8.) but depending on your budget, it
might be worth it.   So if you are familiar with the airport and want to save
a little money, you could take one from the curb at the passenger pickup.
Just always make sure the cab is a yellow and black remis taxi and not a plain
solid-colored car...that goes for getting around town also.

If you have lots of luggage, or for peace of mind, this may not be worth the
trouble, but when returning to the airport you will probably do better just
hailing a taxi from the street and paying the meter fare, instead of calling to
reserve one, which charges a commission. You might ask when you get in, how
much? just to be sure.

But having said that, you might want to take note of the cost of fares if you
go to the same part of town more than once, or if returning home from a
milonga.   Sometimes the fare will vary although it is the same route. We were told
that some drivers have ways to run up the meter and one evening we did pay
about $10. pesos more returning home. These seem to be exceptions as most of the
drivers are courteous and helpful but it never hurts to pay attention.

buen viaje,

Charles