[Tango-L] New "nuevo tango" Sacrifices Tradition and Grace

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 11:33:13 EDT 2008

Martin Waxman:
> I have carefully watched the "masters" and other great milongueros
> arriving at milongas and changing their shoes (some wear their
> street shoes). Is it put on left tango shoe first or right tango
> shoe first? Which technique is better? Marty

It was said, there is a different method of putting on shoes for each
neighborhood of Bs As. But I can't figure that out. There are 48
districts, but only two feet.

Maybe there is a style of lacing the shoes that differs from district
to district.

> On to another important question. On a side step, should you evert
> the free foot or not?

This I actually do consider an important question. A small amount of
turn out gives a person more stability, the spine is more easily
aligned over the heel, and one is ready to pivot if necessary to
adjust direction. Many people have the toes parallel or turned in, and
have a tendency when walking, standing or pivoting to roll to the
outside of the foot, which interferes with balance.