[Tango-L] Surplus Tanguera - Not

Tony tony at oakebooks.com
Wed Apr 16 17:39:52 EDT 2008

Carol Shepherd wrote:
> If a man who dances repeat tandas with the same woman is a "tango hog,"
> is the follow who dances repeat tandas while there are surplus follows
> who are not dancing (indeed, many have not danced a single tanda all
> night) also a "tango hog"?

Hey, I didn't coin the phrase! :-) Actually, I think it's a bit harsh,
but since the term's been used and we know what it refers to... although
there has to be a better way to put it.
> When I brought this topic up about having a hard time getting even a
> single tanda when there are surplus follows (particularly because women
> are discouraged from asking), -- the observations were:
>

> A.  You obviously are not good enough.  If you were a good enough dancer
> you would be asked even though there are many extra women. ...

I don't reckon this is the case, at least not always. At the last
milonga I attended, half way through, I sat with a friend who was upset,
and tearful. When she spilt the beans, it was basically that she wasn't
being asked for dances by anyone she didn't know, and this had been her
experience at other places. We had a long chat about signals, etiquette,
what's going on in male dancers' minds when they're looking for someone
to dance with (I have a bit of an advantage on that topic), then we
danced for a bit. When I caught up with her at the end of the night she
was beaming. She sent out the right signal and was getting asked for dances.

Cheers

Tony

--
www.oakebooks.com/ezines/index.php