[Tango-L] Cortinas or not?

Anton Stanley antonst at alidas.com.au
Wed Apr 16 15:54:22 EDT 2008

"Actually, I believe the root cause is a DJ who plays music which people

don't want to dance to. The cortina has nothing to do with that."

Unlike most blokes in my Tango community, I prefer to only dance about
three tandas at a Milonga. I prefer to wait for music which penetrates
to my heart. Often, by the time I hear the beginning of the tanda, I
have missed my opportunity to seek a dance with the partner I would
prefer. So I can't agree with Jake's view (above) on the subject. Music
can affect each person differently. Those leaders that practically dance
every tanda, don't seem to be affected by the music at all. They just
want to dance. That's not the way I see Tango.
By dispensing with the cortina, I fear many leaders would not return
their partners to their table at the conclusion of a tanda. Maybe DJs
could announce the composition of the following tanda. Or post the
tandas they are going to play on a whiteboard or something. I realise
that would be abhorrent to DJs who believe they need the flexibility to
change on the fly.
I also put my hand up for the cabeceo, but can't see it working
effectively, unless our communities align themselves more closely to all
the tango customs of BA.

Anton