[Tango-L] Why doesn't this happen in BA?

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Wed Apr 16 15:06:26 EDT 2008

Crrtango at aol.com wrote:
> This seems like a semantical and intellectual argument that you are parsing
> for the sake of having your say

No - for the sake of making sure that everybody understands. She is claiming
1. the codes force behaviour
while also claiming (correctly)
2. they don't work everywhere.

The codes are obviously valid in BsAs, as in Rome, you should do as
the Romans an no one is disputing that.

Not *everyone* seems to understand the second point, though, which was
why I tried to clarify. The codes do not force behaviour outside of the
narrow context in which they live.

> because it doesn't really discredit what she is
> saying.

Quite. We're in violent agreement on most things.

 > The milongueros do respect these codes.

In BsAs they do, and I wouldn't dream to want to change the codes
over there, especially not as they're working (most of the time).

On the other hand, in other countries, different codes to achieve
the same aims (i.e. courtesy and a lack of unnecessary social
friction) might be better.

In this country, there is absolutely *zero* peer pressure for people
to behave according to the original BsAs codes (cabeceos aren't
understood and more forcible ways to invite followers pre-empt the
cabeceo, when there are cortinas some people will continue to
dance "tango" to cling to a follower they want to hog for a long time,
etc. etc.).

So we need other ones, as brainwashing people into simili-portenos
doesn't seem to work wonders. And I don't lament that fact; I just
resign myself to the fact that we aren't portenos and that the social
context is different, instead of trying to pretend it isn't and that
anyone can (or even should) single-handledly Argentinise everyone around.

The better codes stick close to local social customs, the more chance
there is for general acceptance, as few people will conform to
codes that appear very alien to them.

Alexis Cousein                                  al at sgi.com
Senior Systems Engineer/Solutions Architect     SGI/Silicon Graphics
--
<If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals>