[Tango-L] Speak up if you're uncomfortable

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Fri Apr 11 12:45:58 EDT 2008

>However, given the fact that only
the two people involved know what happened, is it really
fair for them to be judged by others who aren't privy to
this same information?

I appreciate your sense of justice, Trini.

>It is a difficult issue.  Sometimes it's a case of people
not being able to set boundaries.  Sometimes it's a case of
people not respecting other's boundaries.  With more
experienced dancers, it can get rather murky.
For teachers and community leaders, I think the question
would be "What would an accredited college do?"

In my eyes, it is a question of "What would a someone do who is planning to
establish himself as a tango teacher in a community where there are only so
many potential tango students to go around? What are the motives of someone
who publically defames someone who runs a business in the form of a
reasonably successful tango studio? Is that person maybe trying to help
someone who has an interest in taking over that teacher's students and does
not feel confident enough in using his teaching credentials only and needs
to resort to methods like these when the opportunity offers itself?"

These are the questions that come to my mind in a case like this. And it
would be an important  reason for me to avoid that teacher who tried to take
advantage of such a situation.

purely hypothetical of course, I do not live in Denver but this whole affair
got me thinking...
Astrid