[Tango-L] Coaching the Lead

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 11:04:25 EDT 2008

Yesterday, I had my first real breakthru in Tango. I took a private class from a very
  advanced dancer/follow. She helped me with my posture and balance, continuously
  stopping and reminding me when it went out, which was often.
  My head had been dropping forward which was a lot of weight going off balance and
  I was always concaving my chest as if to scoop her into my arms as I began the embrace.
  She taught me how to stand erect but relaxed and invite the woman into my embrace.
  At first, I was completely amazed and defeated by the additional complexity of the walk.
  I had to do all this and hold a woman in my arms at the same time??
  When at last, I understood the connection of the embrace (apilado) as a communication,
  it started to click..when I could feel my chest (sternum) connection as THE communication
  of where we were going..the arms seemed to disappear and I began to really lead for the first time.
  I'm asking here for more coaching on posture, balance, etc...what helped you?
  What do you remind yourself of, in order to get it right each time??  thanks