[Tango-L] snarky comments on Atlanta demo

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 16:27:18 EDT 2008

--- Joe Grohens <joe.grohens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re: Trini on the "close embrace" movement.
>
> - Is the technique used by these couples really what
> promoters mean
> when they say "close embrace"? What is meant then by
> "open embrace"?

In my mind, close-embrace means no separation between the
bodies, and if separations occur they are unnoticeable by
anyone watching.  Open-embrace means complete separation
between the bodies for most of the dance.  But there is
also a distinct vocabulary.  Because the festivals often
have the same teachers, there's a particular feel that a
participant can expect.

Tomas & Brigitta opened in their demo but they only did so
for certain figures.  That is your normal tango de salon,
where one stays close except for when the figures need an
open frame.  I suppose one should say that close-embrace is
also tango de salon but simply danced without the open
figures.  That's my take on it today, anyway.

Although I found Keith's post unnecessarily harsh, he does
bring up an issue that I've found myself facing.  I think
part of what Keith is referring to isn't just vocabulary
but the beauty of movement, which the Argentines
understand.  How does one encourage that beauty?  Through
drills and exercises.

So how hard does one drill one's students?  I started tango
with Argentine teachers who often did drills at the
beginning of workshops - and I mean drills, not exercises.
I think that's why they have such good technique.  American
teachers tend to take a softer approach (myself included),
which works for building community and helping students
understand movement.

Sometimes when I lead exercises then stop and turn around
to watch (while still giving verbal cues), the students
just stop and I have to tell them to continue.  Sigh.
Right now, I only know of one American teacher who leaves
his students in a sweat.  There's a difference in precision
when people are trained like that.  But as far as I know,
there's not much training like that going on in the States.
 That's one reason, I'm actually looking forward to the
Forever Tango tour.  I'm hoping to get back into that type
of workout.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/