[Tango-L] on open-embrace teaching (was something on inventing steps)

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Sun Apr 6 00:01:21 EDT 2008

 On Sun Apr  6  9:40 , Tom Stermitz  sent:

>In my experience, this is false. I see the opposite, i.e. men don't
>stay for tricky figures, rather they stay when the material is
>presented in a way that makes them feel successful.

This is true up to a certain point, when the guy begins to feel
successful. This is usually when the girls start to enjoy dancing
with him in the milongas. At this point he thinks he knows all the
basic stuff and starts to experiment with fancier figures.  Partly
it's just a competitive instinct because he wants to compete with
other guys doing the same thing. As for the girls, yes, as beginners
they're impressed by guys who dance fancy figures. But it seems
to me that the better the girl becomes, the less she wants to dance
fancy figures. She may go to all the advanced classes with the
visiting Argentines but it seems to be more for the style, feeling
and technique. The guys go for the figures.

Keith, HK