[Tango-L] on open-embrace teaching (was something on inventing steps)

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 23:30:41 EDT 2008

--- Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Trini,
>    The last part of your email/post;
>   "I know they'll be folks on their no-pattern,
> just-dancing
> blah blah blah kick, but I just figure their tango is as
> limited as their thought processes. I'd rather not see
> that happen with you."
>   ...leaves me troubled. I am one who believes in
> no-pattern, just-dancing...(blah, blah, blah?)

For social dancing, I do advocate dancing without patterns.
 But patterns can have a place in teaching, and not
necessarily complicated patterns.  There are some people
who need something very structured until they learn to
control their bodies.  For example, I have one student who
"moseys along" in his normal walk, which is the timing he
brings to tango so he tends to be behind the beat.  With
him I have to do a specific pattern over and over and over
for an entire song until he can do it without thinking.  So
patterns can be useful to break out of habits.

And I've learned to be more forgiving of beginners who need
patterns.  I know that over time, they'll eventually dance
their own dance.  But if patterns is what they need for the
time being, then I'm happy that they've found a way to
enjoy a dance.

Sometimes we'll do a complicated patterns in our advanced
class, but it always to hone a particular skill.  We
usually don't see the pattern being used at a milonga (they
may ask about it at the next practica), but that's okay.
Our students know what the purpose of the pattern is and
pick out what they need.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/