[Tango-L] That awfully insulting metaphor

Jake Spatz spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Apr 4 16:12:42 EDT 2008

Astrid wrote:
> Ok, now. To make all this a little more interesting, I suggest, we change the metaphor [...] how about calling them a "coffin" instead. A coffin and it's carrier

This /is/ more interesting. I know a guy who says dancing with some
women is like pushing furniture around... that's quite close, I think,
to the situation of a coffin with only one pallbearer. Provided, of
course, that the guy is already dressed in black.

In any case, it's been my experience that musical instruments
essentially play themselves. The musician is just there to help it
happen and (except in the case of a piano) to bow with it. (Yet notice
how so many pianists touch the piano as they bow... it ain't so they
keep their balance, you know.)

---
As follow-up to a long-forgotten other comment (of mine): I have never
in my life as a native speaker of English heard the term 'chick' as a
pejorative. It's a jive word for a cool or cute girl.

Just FYI, my fellow fans of Lunfardo song.

Jake