[Tango-L] walking to the cross - videos

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Thu Apr 3 10:16:43 EDT 2008

Sergio,

I've always enjoyed reading you posts over the years and have always agreed with what you had to
say. You've written before about the cross and I agreed with your comments then because they matched
exactly how I was taught Tango by Argentiines. But, as the years pass and I learn more, I've come to
realise that it's just not that simple. To illusrtrate what I have to say I previously commented on this video
posted by Mario. No one responded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch\?v=ErmwG5IIe6k&feature=related

The first figure clearly shows Dani 'El Flaco' Garcia leading Maria Plazaola to the position where you say she
should "cross by default". But it doesn't happen and Dani leads a Back Cross. Nancy has also commented
that many leaders in Buenos Aires do not lead the cross from this position and, because of that, she does
not auto-cross. If the lady crosses by default, it takes away any other option from the man. Why should
that be?

Sorry Sergio but, IMHO, I now think that what you say about the cross by default is not the best way to
dance the cross. IMO, it should always be led by the man and that's the way it should be taught.

Keith, HK

 On Thu Apr  3 12:05 , Sergio Vandekier  sent: