[Tango-L] Do I have to invent every step of the dance, even her's ???

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 17:57:01 EDT 2008

Yep, last night's dancing wasn't good..but I'm trying to look at it positively.
  Perhaps, being able to zero in on what's wrong is an advance forward in my dancing.
  Here is the second 'problem' that I discovered.
   At the end of a not-so-flowing dance, I blurted out to my partner; " There
  were some rough spots in that one, wasn't there?" Well yes, she replied..when you
  just stood there and did this ( standing erect, holding her arms forward with a
  slightly concaved chest) How was I supposed to know what you wanted??
  Well, on youtube it worked...(hee hee, that was for Nancy.) Anyway, after
  we've walked some and I turn or side step, etc..I've been trying to give the
  woman some room to turn and walk across my front..so, I sort of concave
  my chest and spread my arms as to give her room...I was hoping that she
  would just make something up..like a forward ocho or something...
   So, the question is; do I have to know exactly what the follow is to do
  at all times? Is there no 'creative space' where the lead can open his
  stance and just let the follow invent??
   In writing about this and reading some off-list replies..I'm thinking that
  maybe my problem was in not dancing apilado...but had I danced apilado
  wouldn't the front ocho be even more difficult??  hmmm, I have a lot to
  work on here..I hope my practice partner gets here, soon. This is advanced
  stuff!