[Tango-L] subjects that never etc.

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 15:13:15 EDT 2008

Robin wrote:

<<<<Especially interested in two "holds" that I observe these days in the
milongas in BA.
First the draping of the woman's left arm down across the shoulder of
the man with elbow pointed at the ceiling and the other with the
woman's left arm placed very low, almost around the man's waist.>>>>

I see the draping left arm with the elbow up often in NYC these days. Some of
the women I have danced with do it...mostly the younger dancers.  It looks a
little awkward and mannered to me. Don't see the low arm though. I just see
them as another stylistic glitch.   They come and go.
As to women looking to the right with the man, I prefer it and teach it.
(Danel and Maria taught it that way, said it was classic tango de salon style
whereas looking over the man's shoulder evolved more from the milonguero camp.)
But I never "correct" a woman who doesn't do it, because most don't.
It doesn't seem to be that much of an issue to me.   If I were choreographing
something I might prefer the head that way, but at the social milonga it's no
big deal.

See you next week, Robin ;-)

Cheers,
Charles

I have reasons for my preferences of course but they are mostly personal
stylistic choices. I happen to think they look more elegant. We all have different