[Tango-L] On similes and such like...

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Wed Apr 2 07:34:12 EDT 2008

> Woman can do plenty without a leader, if they know how.. and want to. The
> ONLY workshop I ever took on this subject was at the summer NY Tango
> Festival. The class, interleading, by Virginia Kelly, taught women how to
> stop the man from moving and add her own dialogue to the dance.

Carlos Gavito taught me that in a private lesson.

>I don't remember all the examples, but I do remember the man leading a
>stepover. The woman steps over, and drags the man foot.

My old friend Guido taught me that in a tango bar in Berlin in '99. At
Trialarit which is closed now.

>I know that would give some men a coronary.

Esp. if they just pretend to be on their balance at all times, yes. Or to
not be on automatic pilot, which is easy to fall into when they are leading
their usual routine...

>Another example is the man leads a front ocho, and the woman stops the
>man's frame because she wants to embellish the pivot. The woman isn't back
>leading by leading the man into a particular figure. She just stops the
>man's movement because she wants to do something. The problem is few women
>know or want to do this.

I know how to do this. Sometimes apply it when I get bored...; )

 >Even when a man leads a step over, few women take the opportunity to
embellish it. Granted, the man's frame may not allow the freedom, which is a
shame.

Well, this one must be the oldest firulete in the book. Just go back to the
"wet puppy"- thread in 1999. Haha. Remember, Tom Stermitz, you named that
step...

Astrid