[Tango-L] I'm starting to see the pauses

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 14:25:41 EDT 2008

Mario,

A private lesson can give you a lot of detail on
"feel" in this dance.  So, when it is available to
you, my advise it to put your chest on the chest of a
very good dancer.  Here's an example that might help
you to believe what I am saying.

I had signed up for a week-long series of privates in
close embrace.  There was something that I wasn't
getting.  It was quite a while ago.  I think it was
that I wasn't moving far enough forward so that she
could complete her cross correctly.

Anyway, she finally led me.  WOW!  In all the words
that she could say, I wasn't getting it.  It was a
much stronger lead than I imagined.

I had the same experience in a workshop led by a
milonguero from BsAs.  (I don't remember who).  But,
my partner dragged me over to him and said, "Show him"
to the instructor.  Again, wow, what a strong lead!
And, again, all the words in the world weren't showing
me.

So, my advice is, now and then, when there is
something having to do with feel, and you CAN find a
good teacher to dance in close embrace with, do it!
It works!!!

By the way, I'm surprised all of the Basic-8 teachers
haven't spoken up.  In the basic pattern, the 2 and 5
positions are natural places to pause ... well,
natural places to teach the pause.  Your partner will
appreciate it.