[Tango-L] I'm starting to see the pauses

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 13:52:47 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Alberto Dassieu y Eva Garlez are becoming two of my very favorite dancers.
>   They sometimes dance together as in this video.
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpljPVhW6Gs
>   Alberto is master of the Vals (not this video) and Eva has something very
>   earthy and female that is amazing to watch..
>   This slow tango has lots of pauses...where the next move slowly builds..

They're not with the music. They're too busy with adornments.

Contrast that with the following, danced to the same tango:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v246c8wP6_0

Excessive pausing is not for social dancing. It clogs the line of
dance. A pause of one or two beats, e.g., when changing direction from
a suspension is OK. Prolonged pauses with excessive embellishment
loses connection with the music (even Pugliese).

Even in exhibition, pauses should be timed with the music. Pausing
when dancing to Pugliese matches the pauses in the music.

Ron