[Tango-L] Help to find masculinity in Tango !

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 08:43:34 EDT 2007

Igor,

I'm having difficulty understanding why you think men think tango is too
feminine. Ballroom dancing (especially Latin, with it's rolling hips) -
maybe - but tango, with it's assertive chest forward movements? Tango is
even portrayed in advertising as being very masculine, with strong masculine
Latin men as primary role models. I don't deny that some men in the US see
social dancing as feminine, but in my eyes, except maybe for country &
western dancing, I see tango as the most masculine of social dances danced
in the US.

As far as recruiting men to tango, that is another issue. I understand that
many (most?) tango communities in the US (even worldwide) have more women
than men. In part this is the same trend that one sees in other social
dances. However, to me the core reason there are more women than men is that
tango is a difficult dance.

So, in my opinion, the men who say they have dropped tango because it is too
feminine are either lying or deceiving themselves. I think most of them
dropped tango because it is too difficult. It takes 1-2 years to train a
motivated man to look good on the milonga dance floor. (Let's not promote
the 6 week miracles again here.) Most men seek instant gratification. Tango
is too much work.

Ron