[Tango-L] Dance What You Love To Hear WAS Re: Tango Music

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 15:31:13 EDT 2007

I really think all dance comes down to a deep pleasure from and affinity
for the 'indigenous' music.

I never liked ballet music.  I love latin music, particularly afro-cuban
music.  It makes me move.  Same with blues and jazz.  I am no big fan of
canned ballroom music, it's cheesy and over-dancey.  It goes with the
big moves in international smooth styles.  Ditto for newer versions of
tango recorded in the style 'american' tango, which, to my ears, are
military marches with smooth styling over the top.  I also can't handle
reggae music or country music, to me it all sounds like the same song
and it's boring.

I love tango music, so I dance tango.  I can't keep from moving to
afro-cuban music, so I dance salsa. I love jazz and blues, so I dance
lindy hop and swing and balboa and west coast and blues.  I know the
other dances, but I only do them, if and when, for social politeness and
joining in.  I dance what I feel about the music and in the music, in
me.  It pleases me to do so within the dance forms that organically
evolved alongside the music.  It also pleases me intellectually to
experiment with mixing up the dances and the music, but that's not as
authentic so it's an occasional thing.

I couldn't disagree more strongly with Jake, that one is better off
learning argentine tango without previous dance experience.  Training in
coordinated rhythmic body movement and experience in creating a frame
and a connection with a partner, and in communicating lead and follow,
put a new tango dancer light years ahead of someone who is inexperienced
and has no comfort with coordinated body movement and/or social dancing.
  It's true that dancers get ahead of themselves and perceive
similarities between dances that aren't there, and it can be hard to
undo ingrained habits.  An excellent dance teacher should know enough
about the basic structure of all the popular social dances, to know
about the differentials in frame, posture, lead and follow, style, and
vocabulary of moves, and be able to help translate for these
'cross-dancers'.

I say, if you dislike most or all of a genre of social dance music,
listen to yourself!  Don't do that social dance.  While salsa is
probably easiest and most commercially available, I steer new leads away
from it all the time, if they are not tapping their feet.

I see (and unfortunately dance with) leads in argentine all the time,
who obviously don't get or don't like the music.  I wonder whether they
are spending their play time in the right place.  Then again, I hear the
women in argentine tango are more stylish and pretty hot, and it's close
embrace -- that would explain it ;)

The subculture -- well, that can be sublime or it can be stifling
(tangofascismo).  And one person's sublime is another person's stifling,
for sure.  But that's a chestnut for another list war.