[Tango-L] Strong Lead - resistance effect

Bruce Stephens bruce at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 13:42:33 EDT 2007

"Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com> writes:

[...]

> Not in Newton's. Momentum is something only moving objects have. What
> stationary objects (and arguably moving objects too) have is inertia.

A stationary object surely has a momentum of zero?  And yes, surely
moving objects have inertia:

    The vis insita, or innate force of matter is a power of resisting,
    by which every body as much as in it lies, continues in its
    present state, whether it be of rest, or of moving uniformly
    forwards in a right line. [copy and paste from Wikipedia]

> Regardless, it's good to see teachers are increasingly accepting
> that trying to communicate these feel-things to students in
> scientific words obfuscates more than enlightens.

Can do, yes.  Similarly using musical terms can obfuscate.  I think
the (difficult) trick in either case is to use the terms accurately,
or at least to know when you're intending to use them metaphorically
and to somehow make that clear.

> The best communicate it directly, in dance.

I've found some explanations to be valuable, too.  I suspect the best
way to teach is to use a variety of approaches.  I agree that a
variety which doesn't include actual dancing probably isn't going to
work, and just dancing is probably quite sufficient most of the time.

And I've certainly been at some classes where it seemed to me that the
teacher was trying to use a variety of ways of describing something,
but actually the variety was very limited (just using slightly
different words) or incorrect, or both.  And sometimes teachers
attempt to use physics or music, but get it sufficiently wrong that
I'm more confused than if they hadn't tried.

[...]