[Tango-L] Strong Lead - resistance effect

Krasimir Stoyanov krasimir at krasimir.com
Sun Sep 23 02:33:29 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Stermitz" <stermitz at tango.org>
To: "Tango-L" <tango-l at mit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Strong Lead - resistance effect

Some comments:

>  - by resisting movement or self-powering,

This will effectively destroy the dance, both resisting or self-powering are
LEADING, not following.

>  - by allowing stationary or moving momentum to slow the changes of
> tempo

Slow the changes of tempo? What do you mean by that?

>  - by leaning or being more vertical,

In a tango danced correctly, the leader determines the lean, not the
follower. This follows from the walking technique, the follower cannot
manage the lean without doing incorrect things with the posture.

>  - by pushing into the floor or pushing off,

This needs clarification, every body pushes into the floor, otherwise they
will fall down. What is pushing off the floor? Changes of the height above
the floor are very important instrument for the leader, so it is not correct
for the follower to modulate it.

>  - by allowing a slower response or a more sprightly response.

Correct walking while following simply reacts passively to the lead, if it
is slow, the reaction is slow, etc.
Slowing a lead is not something good for the dance, it destroys the rithm,
and should be avoided, unless there is a serious reason.
Sharping a slow, smooth lead is a disaster in most cases.

>  - by slowing or speeding up the speed of the moving leg

I agree with this, but must be done very carefully.

In fact, this is the only instrument for a follower to use freely - the
moving leg. But still, it requires a lot of experience for it to work in a
good manner.

>  - by resisting or releasing early or late in the movement

This would be very bad thing unless the skill level is unbelievably high.
And as we all do not posses such skills, it is not for us.

>  - by resisting or releasing early or late in the music

Could you elaborate?

>  - by leaving a step or arriving to a step early or late with
> respect to the music or lead.

Possibly, but again - it is a high level skill. Usually this is simply bad
follow.

> (2) The manner in which the woman engages with her partner IS THE
> FIRST AND MOST INTERESTING
> decoration in tango. It is one of the most significant ways for the
> woman to express musicality. Decorating the connection is far more
> interesting than the visible decorations we usually think about.

Interesting, could you tell us more about this idea?