[Tango-L] Who's leading?

dchester@charter.net dchester at charter.net
Sat Sep 22 09:42:27 EDT 2007

Fortune,

Despite what some people think, what you are feeling as a beginner is farely common.  I've found that many beginning followers prefer a strong lead.  A less rude way of saying what possibly Keith was getting at, is that as your skills improve, what you want from a lead may change.

Also, a lot of teachers recommend that new followers close their eyes, which helps them concentrate on what they are feeling from the lead.  One thing I've learned since taking up tango, is that there's an awful lot of contradictory advice out there.  I think some people haven't realized that just because they learned something one way, that doesn't mean it's the only way to learn it.

Take care, and enjoy the journey.

------------------------------

>From: Keith <keith at tangohk.com>
>Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Who's leading?

>Fortune,

>Since you're already expecting flames, please let me be the first.

>3 weeks of classes and you already know what you need from the lead.
Wow, that's impressive.

>Might I suggest that you concentrate on what you need to learn as a
follow before you start telling your leads what they should be doing.

>What you say happens to be correct but I suspect it's what you've been
told rather than what you actually know from experience. Excluding your
teacher I doubt if you can recognise a good leader from one of the many
morons who manhandle the beginner girls around the floor. The worst
dancer here can impress beginners. But after 3 months, they'll never
dance with him again.

>Finally, please don't judge all the leads by comparison with how
well your teacher leads you. Otherwise you'll be in for a world of
disappointments and you may end up not dancing with anybody. You're a
beginner - expect to dance with beginners and don't think too much of
yourself.

>And, IMHO, a beginner of 3 weeks who closes her eyes just looks stupid.

>Keith, HK

On Fri Sep 21  1:18 , "fortune elkins"  sent: