[Tango-L] Who's leading?

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 17:54:14 EDT 2007

For refuge from politcal correctness, I don't think anything beats Country Western.
  While I see, here in Portland, men practicing with men, and women leading men at
  practicas, (and even, rarely, at milongas) I have only seen two men dancing together
  once or twice at a Country Western place in the course of over a decade of going out
  once or twice a week. (It's mostly those West Coast Swing dancers.)
  Lois Donnay asked, quite some time ago, if AT attracts a more liberal crowd. As I
  remember it, she didn't get any public response. Yes, AT attracts a more liberal crowd
  than country western, for sure, at least here in Portland.

fortune elkins <frelkins at aliencamel.com> wrote:
  As a total newbie, who has been taking classes for about 3 weeks, let
me say that I personally benefit from a lead who knows who he is,
where he wants to go, isn't afraid to be Tango Man and give a clear
lead. I personally find I dance much better when I can zone out,
listen to the music, close my eyes, and just focus on the leading
signals.

But that requires the lead to LEAD ME. HE HAS GOT TO DRIVE. Then the
dance looks like tango and not say, jitterbug. Thank god tango seems a
refuge from political correctness.

This is my first post, but I am equipped for the inevitable flames
that will come my way. (grin) All I can say is, if any patient guy
with a clear assertive lead is around, that's the one I hope to dance
with!