[Tango-L] When I was a hiker..

Krasimir Stoyanov krasimir at krasimir.com
Fri Sep 14 18:30:58 EDT 2007

Very good observation, Igor, I arrived to the same conclusion, tango-wise.
Now, when I know "the mechanics", I see all the time strange things said and
written about tango, how to dance it and feel it. Almost all teachers are
preaching, instead of teaching - so for me, they are not tango-teachers,
they are tango-preachers. And they all preach pretty much different and
often contradictory things.
And this is very sad, because people deserve better treatment. Simply said,
directions that they could understand, not strange sophisticated high-ordeal
stuff.

The dance has two (at least?) levels - one of them is purely technical, or
bio-mechanical if you wish. The other one is the spiritual level - the
music, the feeling, the tango-living. The latter one is far more difficult
to teach, if possible at all. That's why most teachers concentrate on the
mechanics. But most of them actually explain nothing. Do-it-like-me system
is awful in a class that badly needs some basic walking, leading and
following improvements. Yes, walking, leading and following are impossible
to separate, they are one and the same - the right walking is impossible
without being led properly and knowing how to transform that lead. The right
following is impossible without correct walking, and the lead is futile in
such a case.

And I think this is what must be taught - the holy trinity of tango -
walking, leading and following. All the rest is easy, when based on proper
walking, leading and following skills. Of course, one thing is missing, the
pivots, and they are the next important thing to learn - and they benefit
greatly from the good execution of the trinity. A pivot following an
imprecise step is going to be a disaster.

So, what else do we need - leading and following smoothly through the steps
and pivots - this is 99% of the dance. The rest is not so important and to
the people's preference - figures, combinations, adornos - vanity fair.

Many people reading this will say - "Hey, of course, we know that walking is
important". But what they don't know is that they don't walk correctly -
nobody is there to tell them and teach them. Of course, some people do know
how to walk, but they are minority even in Argentina.