[Tango-L] Women dressed as men in tango

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 11:52:20 EDT 2007

"Quite the contrary - the foreign public was fed all the stereotypes,
almost exclusively. It is only in the last ten years or so that a more
systematic research has been done. Your ideas are/were generally
accepted, that is correct - there are a few well-known books written
by the early tango historians (with few references to primary sources)
that get quoted over and over (and that sometimes quote each other).
But we have moved now beyond what they knew or believed in, and we
have the benefit of more systematic research and more years of
knowledge and investigations."

Konstantin I wrote about Tango history in Tango-L and for newspapers and
magazines since the early 1990s.

I invented nothing, what I have said was based in my own experience as I was
growing up in Buenos Aires, in my discussions with tango historians
themselves or with members of my family and friends that had lived the facts
by them explained; also in readings and in the knowledge of Argentine
Culture and history in general.

I wrote under the names; Sergio Suppa, Cachafaz and Sergio Vandekier).

All along these years I run into foreigners (never one Argentine) that
disputed historical facts as generally accepted basing their conviction in
their own deductions and beliefs or in books written by foreigners.  They
were mostly Europeans or from Latin America.

Disgusted with this situation I finally decided to quit writing in Tango-L,
in my own stupidity I thought it was interesting to share this little known
fact of  tango women dressing as men, big mistake!

I thank you and all the foreigners that did a "systematic research of our
history" never mind the arrogance of believing that we are totally unable of
knowing or investigating our own history.

Here I must concede the fact that tango, having being considered something
"depicable, proper of the lower classes" was neglected as a subject of study
by Argentine intelectuals. Despite of this we could paper the road from here
to the moon with all that has been written about our popular dance and
music.

Summary it is best not to write about the following subjects: Tango History,
Gender roles in tango, Tango Styles.  If you do you will get tangled in a
discussion that will never end.

Have a good day, Sergio