[Tango-L] Switching roles

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 06:34:28 EDT 2007

--- Lois Donnay <donnay at donnay.net> wrote:

> Ladies, when you pick
> teachers or listen to your
> leaders, do you take into consideration whether they can
> follow?

No, not even if the comment regards women's technique.
However, I have always compared their comments to those of
women whose dancing I admired.  If there's a conflict of
ideas, I can usually attribute it to his particular dance
style/preferences.  Of course, when I was "young and
stupid" in tango, I had no such discrimination.

In the same way that the woman is the expert on how a
really good leader feels, the man is the expert on how a
really good follower feels.  This expertise is still there
regardless of whether he follows well or not.  It's this
expertise that I'm interested in regarding his comments on
following.  So he knows how it should feel like to him, but
she knows physically what's needed to create that
sensation.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/