[Tango-L] Early dancing in Argentina

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 03:11:30 EDT 2007

On 9/13/07, Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Konstantin says,  "Numerous tango dancing manuals exist from the 1910-1925
> era - most of
> it before Azucena ever stepped foot on a stage. They all assume a
> man-woman dance."
>
> They do but they did not touch each other.

That is not true at all. They hold hands on one side and have some
sort of embrace on the other. There are pictures available in at least
some manuals, apart from the text descriptions. By the 1910s tango has
already exploded in Europe and everyone and their dog was busy writing
dance manuals. I can type up a list of about 30 (tango) dance manuals
all between 1911 and 1915 (some are even accessable in local libraries
in North America if not elsewhere - like the Castles manual from
1914!). But why would I spend the time and what would it prove to you?
I think you are pretty set in your opinion on this (no doubt since you
think the facts are on your side), and you seem to take at least an
implicit offence at what I write.

Separately, there are pictures from around 1905 of tango dancing at
Hotel Victoria, men with women with holding hands and embrace. It is
at the Archivo General de la Nación.

Additionally, there are tihngs like a Sep 16, 1896 description in La
Nación of mixed (man-woman) couples dancing in various types of
holding hands and embraces.

There are even earlier descriptions like in La Nación from Oct 20,
1880, of gatherings in the Plaza Constitución that involved people of
both sexes drinking , dancing and talking by the light of kerosene
lanterns, with chorizo sausages cooked on grills, etc.

Women did not dance with men until 1920s? Tango was a man-man dance up
until then? It is possible. Other possibilities exist as well.

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada