[Tango-L] communites of all gender leading

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Thu Sep 13 00:11:51 EDT 2007

Encouraging students to switch roles during classes and practice is a good thing because it aids the process of learning Tango. It can
also be entertaining in a Tango Show - especially if the couple are skilful.

Having said that, switching roles in a milonga is a totally different thing and should not be encouraged. I'll come out flat and say it -
In a milonga, unless the couple are gay, I hate to see men dancing with men and women dancing with women. Why? Because it destroys the
whole feeling of the dance and can destroy the feeling and enjoyment of the milonga. We all say that Tango is about 'feeling' as well as
technique and I certainly agree with that. But same-sex dancing is 100% about technique, with absolutely no feeling involved - unless the
couple are gay and, as I've said, in that case I have no objection. La Marshall was very enjoyable.

Another thing - we all rail against showing off in milongas. Don't we all hate that? Or at least we say we do. But let's be clear - most
people who switch roles during a molonga are showing off - pure and simple. The man is showing off that he can follow, the woman is
showing off that she can lead. What they're saying is ... "look at us, look how clever we are". And they do it selfishly, with a complete
disregard for all the other dancers present.

Many people, including Igor in a recent post, have a misconception that there's a tradition in Argentina of men dancing with men. This
just isn't true. Men practice with men, they don't dance together. When I see same-sex dancing in BsAs, I always think the same thing -
 "look at the stupid tourists".

Keith, HK

On Thu Sep 13  1:47 , jackie ling wong  sent: