[Tango-L] ...bad publicity.

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Wed Sep 12 18:56:51 EDT 2007

Well I tapped into a hornets' nest there...

1) I sent this to the list because I hate when people "chainmail" such
things when they could use normal forums as well.
2) Although I live damn far from Colorado, the nearest I've been to the
USA was in Buenos Aires and I do not maintain regular relations outside
tango-L with American tango dancers, I DO know Chas and Gaia, as I met
them in Ljubljana a few months ago. Chas didn't strike me as a perv.
3) The style of the article was very carefully toned not to seem like a
tabloid article, it was trying to be factual, however it did not present
many actual facts about the cases themselves, only the details of legal
proceedings and the supposed statements of supposed victims. I do not
know the truth, but I find the way of presenting the issue very
disturbing - especially, that the link arrived in a multi-language,
multi-forward chainmail.
4) People usually take what they read in the media as fact. It is in
many cases not. And you don't even have to read tabolids. Just try CNN.
5) I think that until there is a verdict, this article is an attack
against his right to be considered innocent, until proven guilty.
6) Also, it is an obvious attack against his reputation as a tango
dancer and teacher (independently from the truth). If Chas is just a bit
more eccentric than the average, the charge will be easy to pass as
truth within the community...

flame at 2xtreme.net wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2007 at 12:13, tango-l-request at mit.edu wrote:
> Aron just what do you find amusing here?
>
>> http://www.westword.com/2007-08-02/news/dirty-dancing/full
>>
> I didn't read anything amusing in it at all. Perhaps you didn't actually read
> the entire piece? It involved quite a bit more than a teacher touching a
> thigh. Or is it that you endorse this kind of behavior and think that women
> should just keep their mouths shut and not create any problems for creeps
> like Chas?
I find both the inherent trust in the US justice system amusing and the
fact that Americans sue for just about everything. Especially, if it has
something to do with sex.

> ceverett at ceverett.com wrote
> Ecsedy,

It is STILL Aron. That is my name. Ecsedy (pronounced echedee) is my
family name.
> You need to reread the story very carefully.
>
> It describes multiple acts that a reasonable person would
> describe as abuse, and tells of many things that can't be
> construed as legitimate teaching techniques by any stretch
> of the imagination.

Well, I do not approve such descriptions in the quoted situations
proper, however I do use words and descriptions that you would consider
sexual while teaching. This is something most of my students enjoy.
Maybe it is the way and the timing...

Also, some of the descriptions quoted in the article appear to describe
correct technical contructs. If someone just 'colored' his descriptions
a bit (I guess there is no recording), or just simply misunderstood
something (I love to use words with double meanings - one of them
sexual)... Bad sense of humour, bad style or even bad taste is not a crime.

> Why didn't they just slap the guy and ask for their $$$
> back?  You'd be surprised how much women grit their teeth
> and put up with on a daily basis, when survival or just
> something they want badly is at stake.

Survival = learning tango??? PLEEASE show me the place! I immediately
want citizenship there! A tango teacher's heaven...

I believe that's their problem. And their therapist's...

Aron

--
Ecsedy Áron

Tel: +36 20 66-24-071