[Tango-L] teachers/dancers, salon/show was:Melina & Detlef

Andreas Wichter andreas at tangokombinat.de
Thu Sep 6 14:17:25 EDT 2007

Hello Keith,

you are probably quite right to say that the very best dancers are
Argentinians. This would make sense considering the possibilities they
have, and the numerical advantage they have.
I wonder, though, if everybody understands this even remotely in the
same way. Your idea of the "best dancer" might be quite different from,
say, mine, or Janis´, or somebody else´s, for that matter. One might
see stars of the teaching circuit in a brilliant demo, and then later
they use a three-figures repertoire dancing in the milonga, seemingly
deaf to boot. Others may not look like much, but their partners´ faces
in the milonga light up with pleasure. Who´s better? I admit this is a
loaded question, but you get my drift. I suspect that for most people
even on this list "best dancers" status goes to people who shine on a
stage. Some of these are good social dancers, too, but simply from
seeing them perform how can you tell? I guess that is my point.

Secondly, equating "best dancer" to "best teacher" simply contradicts
my experience, and that of many I´ve spoken to when I asked them about
this or that workshop with superstar x or y they attended. People have
been sneered at, laughed at, shouted at, ignored by quite a few high
status teachers, and often have not learned much. I have had excellent
experiences with some highly regarded dancers, and I´ve had bitter
disappointments: when Mr Superstar spent the workshop either showing
some complex, lenghty sequence (which nobody in the group even remotely
learned to do) or chatting to friends they met in BsAs; when another Mr
Super arrived at the workshop drunk and danced with the women while
holding a cigarette (and later the women he danced with (even when
sober) told me he couldn´t lead at all - indeed he even had to tell his
partner what he wanted her to do); when still another showed stuff but
hardly ever uttered a complete sentence, clearly bored with what he was
doing.
It seems to me many people become teachers out of necessity. Usually
that means they suck, no matter how brilliant they might be as dancers.
Does anybody think Picasso must necessarily have been the best art
teacher there is?
People who actually like teaching, and work hard at being good at it,
are usually the ones best suited to the job.
You said not to delude ourselves, that Melina and Detlef are not as
good as the best Argentinians. Well, actually that depends on what you
are talking about. The best stage dancers? Certainly not. As good on
the social dance floor? You´d be surprised. As teachers? I´d choose
them over almost anybody else, anytime, unless I really wanted to learn
something they can´t teach or don´t know.
It is interesting that many Argentinians value them more highly than
non-Argentinians seem to do...
I have met some excellent teachers, and yes, some of them were
Argentinians, but just as many or more were not.

Lastly, it is quite important what people actually teach. 90 percent of
the stuff most couples show in their demos are unsuited to the social
dance floor. Many (most, actually) teach those things in their classes.
Similar to what Jake recently said in another post on another topic,
it´s the other teachers (those teaching salon-compatible tango) who
have to pick up the pieces. A recent experience of mine was a 60+ years
old woman showing me what she had just learned from a twentysomething
years old professional dancer with endless legs: a leg wrap around the
man´s back and waist. To be done during the walk...
The things Detlef and Melina teach are often more difficult than the
typical workshop sequences that nobody can remember afterwards anyway,
and at the same time more doable because they can be done by
non-athletes and they are actually related to the skill of dancing as
opposed to showing off.
The best stuff in tango is what you can´t see.

Was I ranting? :-)
Sorry.

Cheers,
Andreas