[Tango-L] Young Masters vs. Old Milongueros

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Thu Sep 6 14:11:11 EDT 2007

I never have been to Buenos Aires, but I research and judge Argentine Tango
based on my extensive collection of Tango videos and YouTube.

Let us put Neo Tango aside. Talking only about Classical Tango,

There is no doubt that in between young people there are a lot of great
dancers and talented teachers. It goes for non-Argentineans also. Some of my
favorite tango people are non-argentineans.

However, in my "virtual" experience ( and personal dancing as well )
I can firmly say that the amount of knowledge on average the young people
and foreigners
( especially those who dance in "Milonguero" style ) possess
is hardly more than 1% of what I have seen and experience from old
Argentineans.
( with some exceptions )

No doubt, there are a lot of fakes between Argentineans, young and old, as
well as between non-argentinean dancers, but I am not talking about them.

I have experienced many times that because of the general very low knowledge
of Tango, too simplistic dancers gain more attention than the Masters of the
dance.

I hope it is a temporary phenomena and will not last long.

Igor Polk
To avoid some misunderstanding,
I am not talking in particular about anyone mentioned on the list recently.
Melina and Detlef definitelly deserve attention.