[Tango-L] Can only Argentines teach (& learn) Argentine tango?

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Thu Sep 6 13:57:05 EDT 2007

I have heard a lot of suggestions on how to pick tango instructors.
1. They dance really, really well
2. They have been promoted well and travel a lot
3.  They have danced a long time
4. They communicate well
5. They have lived in or go to Buenos Aires frequently

No one seems to mention my favorite: for my money, the best teachers are the
ones who turn out the best students, and the most students who stick with
tango. I don't look at how a teacher dances, but how their students dance.

Men, ask the women which teacher turns out the best male dancers. Women, ask
the men whose students they like to dance with.

As to Janis having her prejudices, that's OK - but lots of people have hired
her, (a good idea, by the way) to help them understand and fit in to the
BsAs cultural and dance scene better. Should they have hired a native
instead? I don't think so. Janis knows Americans well enough to understand
how they think and predict what they might do, and head their faux pas off
before too many Ugly American incidences.

I still regret that few Argentines remain on this list....

Lois Donnay