[Tango-L] New generation of milongueros

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:52:01 EDT 2007

Just to bring another viewpoint to this discussion, let's define what's meant by "milonguero". If the definition of milonguero is: and old Argentinean man over 65 0r 70 years old who dances tango very well but very subtly and has never taken a tango lesson in his long life of frequenting milongas. Then indeed it's impossible for anyone outside of a handful of guys in BsAs to be a "milonguero".

OTOH, if one looks at other definitions, such as the Lunfardo Dictionary from Todotango, other conclusions may be achieved. To wit, the Lunfardo dictionary defines milonguero thusly:

MILONGUERO/RA
        (pop.) Cantor de Milongas// aficionado o concurrente
          asiduo a los bailes populares// bailarín de Milongas// chismoso//
          embustero// intrigante.
In English, it says: singer of milogas// aficionado, frequenter of popular dances//Dancer of milongas// gossip// fabricator of lies// manipulator, conspirator.

Obviously, the second set of definitions would make room for a lot of people to become or to claim to be milongueros. I think that the term "milonguero" has been appropriated mostly by non Argentinean tango dancers to define a dancer of unusual skill and with unusual characteristics. I think it's rather facile to grab a lunfardo term and change it to serve as a particular definition, but it's rather disturbing in a way because it still retains some of the original parts of the definition such as a frequenter to popular dances or a dancer at milongas. This means that people who can legitimately claim the title of "milonguero/ra" as per the original lunfardo definition, are denied by those who use the newer definition.

Cheers,

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com